:: Re: [DNG] Mutuality and harmlessnes…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Mutuality and harmlessness
On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 09:27:20 +0100
Martin Steigerwald <martin@???> wrote:

> Hello Spiral of Hope.
>
> Thank you for your point of view.
>
> spiralofhope - 24.11.18, 18:24:
> > Now
> >
> > > what happens if I let go any belief that some of them are true or
> > > right, preferably my own, and some of them are false or wrong,
> > > preferably those of apparent others? What is beyond true or false,
> > > beyond right or wrong, beyond black or white, beyond left or
> > > right? What if, just what if this world is not binary, like a
> > > computer? What
> > > if, just what if this world has all the different colors and none
> > > of them are right or wrong?
> >
> > The binary is real.
>
> For me it is not. It is just part of the illusion.

Genocide is wrong, full stop.

I know you know this, but say it just in case there's any moral
equivocator who really believes there's no right or wrong in any
context: That's very dangerous.

By the way, you're the OP of this thread, and I agree with you that
there have been entirely too many and too vicious personal insults in
this thread.

> Cause whenever I
> really check… it is not there. Whenever I really checked whether
> there is actually a me with all the rights, wrongs, goods or bads,
> all the story, all the drama, without going into memory… I never
> found it.
>
> However do not take my words for granted. Feel free to check for
> yourself.

[snip spiral's text]

> For me there is no right or wrong. At least not a generally accepted
> one. Right or wrong in itself is an ego thing. Ask 10 people about
> what they deem right and wrong and receive 10 different answers.

Not on genocide. But on most things, there's certainly room for
disagreement.

> Now,
> which one is wrong and which one is right? Of course you can fight
> epic battles over that, like a systemd versus init freedom battle, a
> vi versus emacs battle, a GNOME versus KDE battle, a Debian versus
> Devuan battle,

The preceding battles are so different from each other they're almost
not in the same category. Neither vi nor emacs ever wrote any code to
sabotage use of the other. GNOME vs KDE is a false choice: There are
tens of excellent WM/DE's to choose from. The systemd thing is much
more than init freedom (this from the guy who, as far as I know, first
used init freedom as a talking point in the debian-user civil war).
It's about incredibly bad architecture. It's about sabotage. It's about
attempted monopolism. It's about the destruction of interchangeable
parts. It's about barriers to DIY. It's about respect for users.

Obviously there's no right answer in vi vs emacs: Depends entirely on
your priorities. On the other hand, if you're a Linux user, systemd
tends to be wrong, due to monolithic entanglement reducing user choices
and increasing complexity.

[snip a couple sentences I didn't understand]

> I decide to choose my time more
> wisely however instead of potentially sinking an unlimited amount of
> time into it.

The preceding is a wise policy unless the wrong is something incredibly
wrong.

SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2018 featured book: Manager's Guide to Technical
Troubleshooting Brand new, second edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mgr