:: Re: [DNG] Devuan Jessie + Huawei US…
Author: Adam Borowski
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan Jessie + Huawei USB modems
On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 01:28:00PM +0100, Alessandro Selli wrote:
> On 23/11/18 at 12:02, Miroslav Skoric wrote:

> > I found some info on the net that such dongles might require to be
> > switched from the bulk memory stick mode to the modem mode, or
> > something like that, to be able to activate in Linux.

>   Right, many USB modems show up as something different than a
> networking device when they are plugged-in.  I haven't used any of them
> for a long time, but I remember many of them show up as a CDROM device
> which carries the Windows drivers and/or some Windows utility.  The
> actual modem shows up after the CDROM device is unmounted or ejected.

Ie, usbmodeswitch. This might or might not work with modemmanager -- in my
experience, it works _randomly_. Including having the dongle suddenly
switch while the connection is running, with obviously fatal results. And
modemmanager seems to be unable to recover.

>    The package modemmanager is supposed to take care of the correct
> initialization of a number of known and supported modems using udev's
> rules (the ASCII package install 18 such rules).  Yet, I think sometimes
> human intervention is still needed, and of course several USB modems (as
> well as PCMCIA/CardBus ones and some WiFi dongles and Access Points) are
> partially, poorly or not supported at all.

Alas, we're deeply in the "sacrifice a young black goat" land. The quality
of drivers, firmware and _hardware_ is so egregious that it's far more
effort effective to take an old phone and set up tethering.

I'd point at a particular piece of crap from A4Tech as a newcomer to my
shitlist, but I imagine they're on par with their competition.

Back in 2002, I made a pictorial HOWTO wrt dealing with Wintendo-only
modems: https://angband.pl/fun/winmodem/ -- as you can see, they can be a
tough nut to crack. This HOWTO hasn't lost a bit of its value.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ A dumb species has no way to open a tuna can.