:: Re: [DNG] Devuan Jessie + Huawei US…
Author: Alessandro Selli
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan Jessie + Huawei USB modems
On 23/11/18 at 12:02, Miroslav Skoric wrote:
> On 11/22/18 4:28 PM, ael wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Nov 22, 2018 at 03:10:15PM +0100, Miroslav Skoric wrote:
>>>
>>> What is needed to install so that Devuan Jessie recognizes Huawei
>>> modems:
>>>
>>> - Huawei Mobile Connect - 3G modem (Wintendo sees it as such)
>>> - Huawei USB modem E3372 4G
>>> - Huawei Mobile Wifi router E5573C 4G
>>

> <snip>
>
>> Above was on Debian. I imagine that your dongles are more recent: maybe
>> quite different.
>>
>> I wrote some notes on getting a huwai dongle going, but I don't have
>> them to hand just now. I think that most of the information was on line.
>>

> Well, yesterday I visited some ISP shops here and they mostly offered
> dongles or routers as the second and third above, E3372 4G and/or
> E5573C 4G. And in the veterans club here they had an older dongle
> (i.e. the first one above, 3G) that was earlier used at some Wintendo
> machine. I inserted it for test into a dual-boot Wintendo / Devuan
> Jessie 64bit and nothing happened. (On the other side, Wintendo
> installed drivers and app from files located within the dongle memory.)
>
> I found some info on the net that such dongles might require to be
> switched from the bulk memory stick mode to the modem mode, or
> something like that, to be able to activate in Linux.

  Right, many USB modems show up as something different than a
networking device when they are plugged-in.  I haven't used any of them
for a long time, but I remember many of them show up as a CDROM device
which carries the Windows drivers and/or some Windows utility.  The
actual modem shows up after the CDROM device is unmounted or ejected.
IIRC many others instead show up as serial devices and only start
operating as a networking device after they're fed a firmware image.

   The package modemmanager is supposed to take care of the correct
initialization of a number of known and supported modems using udev's
rules (the ASCII package install 18 such rules).  Yet, I think sometimes
human intervention is still needed, and of course several USB modems (as
well as PCMCIA/CardBus ones and some WiFi dongles and Access Points) are
partially, poorly or not supported at all.

Alessandro

--
Alessandro Selli <alessandroselli@???>
VOIP SIP: dhatarattha@???