:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Author: Alessandro Selli
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question
On 23/11/18 at 14:25, KatolaZ wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 01:09:17PM +0100, Alessandro Selli wrote:
>
> [cut]
>

>>> Devuan is currently used in a mutlitude of
>>> environments that include server farms, corporate and personal
>>> servers, embedded systems, personal devices, and desktops. So any
>>> choice Devuan will make has to take into account *all* the different
>>> uses of Devuan.
>>>
>>> We are going to provide the users with the choice of having or not
>>> having a merged-usr.
>>
>>   Yes, we are.  Debian apparently is no longer going to be.  And again I
>> was listed the many good reasons the merge is good for the datacenter as
>> an answer to my question: "Why must I be denied the possibility to do
>> otherwise?".
>>
> You continue not reading and not understanding. Who is denying you the
> possibility to do otherwise? Surely not Devuan, which is still
> offering you a choice. You are welcome.

  Re-read what you just quoted, darn it!

    «Yes, we [Devuan] are [provide the users with the choice].  *Debian*
apparently is no longer going to be.»

  Who is who fails to understand?

> Is Debian you are angry with?

  Yes.

> Then please go explain your reasons to
> them, since your rant here is *totally* *out* *of* *scope*.

  My rants were an answer to a (former) Debian maintainer/devloper who
was on this list justifying the necessity of Debian's / -> merge based
on  the specific needs of datacenters or his own personal tastes.

  Or, is Roger Leigh a Devuan maintainer or developer?

>>   Plus the many-times repeated BS of: "The / - /usr split is silly",
> I won't discuss anything about the technical motivations behind
> merged-usr with people that have not read what Roger said in his
> email. And apparently you haven't, so the thread ends here.

  I did read it, in full.  It does not concern desktop installations,
only datacenter and clustered installs.

  He wrote: "This is one of the major factors why I would question the
use of esoteric methods of partitioning and booting the system."

  Esoteric?  Esoteric something that's been done for 40 years in most
Unixes and in all GNU/Linux distros since 1991?

  C'm on, stop kidding me!

--
Alessandro Selli <alessandroselli@???>
VOIP SIP: dhatarattha@???