:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Author: Stephan Seitz
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question
On Fr, Nov 23, 2018 at 01:09:17 +0100, Alessandro Selli wrote:
>  I do get the reasons the merge proponents prefer this filesystem
>layout.  What I rant against is their choices being imposed on me.

They are not imposed on you. No one is going to your desktop/server and
is changing your disc layout.

>  While I did not state this claim, I thought desktop use was one of the
>targets Devuan would try to accomodate.  If this is not the case then I
>think I'd better go search some desktop-friendly distribution.

Sorry, you’re funny. A desktop-friendly distribution is certainly not
a distribution which will ask you about your partition layout and
filesystem choices because the majority of people who want to use
a desktop-friendly distribution is not interested in these details. They
want very few questions and working desktop after the installation.

This is probably one of the reason why people who want to do their own
partition setup are not using desktop-friendly distributions…

You are the first desktop user I have met who insists on having his own
layout.

>  This is my precisely my point: trumping desktop users' needs (or just
>freedom of customization and choice)  because of cluster ease-of-use
>considerations make the distribution *not* universal.  If Devuan is

Of course it is still universal, or does your desktop (whatever you use)
stop working after a /usr-merge? No one removes fvwm, xfce, kde, or the
X server.

And as Roger has tried to tell you every freedom of customization and
choice you want is work that has to be done by someone. More choices
means you need more testing.

Since Devuan and Debian are build by volunteers they will do what they
want to do. If no one is interested in keeping the choices they will fade
away. Will you step forward and work to keep the choices?

I don’t know about distribution statistics but in the usr-merge thread
(debian-devel) it was mentioned that in future distributions are more
a source to build containers and are less and less used directly. And
that they have lost users who found Debian not modern enough.

I don’t know the future but a distribution can’t wait too long to choose
its direction.

>  Yes, we are.  Debian apparently is no longer going to be.  And again I

Bullshit, that isn’t decided yet. And for now it would seem that the
decision for a forced usr-merge is postponed. It can be that they’ll do
it like the migration from /usr/doc to /usr/share/doc: slowly moving
files from / to /usr until / has only symlinks.

>was listed the many good reasons the merge is good for the datacenter as
>an answer to my question: "Why must I be denied the possibility to do
>otherwise?".

Again, are you doing the work for your setup you care so much?

>  So, regardless from what's best to the datacenter, can I be allowed to
>follow the 40 years long path and keep having a /usr split from /?
>  Yes && I stay || I leave.

The choice will probably stay as long as the work to keep it won’t be too
much work for the volunteers.

Shade and sweet water!

    Stephan

--