:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
New-Topics: [DNG] Is Didier another troll? Re: /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question
Subject: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question
Le 22/11/2018 à 17:02, KatolaZ a écrit :
> On Thu, Nov 22, 2018 at 04:28:55PM +0100, Didier Kryn wrote:
>> Le 22/11/2018 à 13:42, terryc a écrit :
>>> IME, absolutely nothing in real life works that way.
>>> Do you dump all your clothes into one big bin or store them by say
>>> type?
>>     Files are stored in different directories, that's it for clean
>> bookkeeping. Making these directories mountpoint does not add any sort of
>> ordering. Only the impression they are more secure. My opinion is that
>> impression is only an impression. Am I allowed to express my opinion without
>> causing flames?
>>
> Sure you are, Didier, as is anybody else, and we should all strive for
> this to remain the norm here :)

    Dear KatolaZ, My question wasn't intended to you, though I was
pretty sure you would answer and I knew your answer :-)

    I've observed people opposed to the merge feel very upset. I
understand one doesn't like, in general, reforms which don't make things
better and are forced on people, reforms the motivation of which is weak
or obscure.

    Maybe there is a motivation from the darkside (Systemd), but there
is also a clear but weak motivation, for the sake of making the
filesystem hierarchy more sensible: /usr really means "the user's disk".
This motivation being weak, the community has postponed the merge for
decades, and the decision to eventually do it may well have been
triggered by Systemd, or simply because Systemd people like to change
everything and they somehow have the control.

    In the mean time people have found more or less good reasons to
make /usr a mountpoint. What I'm advocating is: this hasn't any
consequence for the safety of the OS and it hasn't anymore consequences
on the ability to boot; it's mostly a change in habits.

    The merge is being forced on us, but the existence of /usr has been
also forced on us. Moreover, even if it has been triggered by Systemd
people, the merge has been pushed for a long time by other people, and
with a clear and honest motivation. For a dozen years I've seen this
merge as a configuration option in Busybox. If it can be made optional
in Devuan, that's great, but I think it doesn't deserve such a radical
opposition.

            Didier