:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question??
Le 19/11/2018 à 23:57, Rick Moen a écrit :
> Quoting Didier Kryn (kryn@???):
>
>>     Very nice. Congratulations. Do I understand well if I
>> understand your scripts read the config of the Debian kernel and
>> customize it to compile your own kernel?
> I must beg your pardon, Didier, but I don't fully understand your
> question.
>
> In general terms: I've long ago gotten used to the idea that, on the
> rare occasions when it's desirable to change a system's kernel, I just
> am used to carrying forward the existing .config file and using
> make-kpkg(1). It's too infrequent an operation to fully script, at
> least in my use-case. It's not necessary or useful for any scripting to
> parse the kernal .config, as far as I'm aware.

    Well, AFAIU, you compile your own kernel, with device drivers in
the kernel, instead of modules (not possible for all), and don't use the
packaged kernel/initrd provided by Debian. It is absolutely possible to
live like this, but it discards apt-controlled kernel updates (typically
once per month). Do you perform kernel updates, and how? And what kernel
source do you use, kernel.org or Debian?

        Didier