:: Re: [DNG] static /dev: was /usr to …
Author: terryc
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] static /dev: was /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question??
On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 15:51:39 -0500
Steve Litt <slitt@???> wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 12:29:33 +0100 (CET)
> karl@??? wrote:

> > I use a classic static /dev, and the only problem I have seen is
> > with usb devices (apart from keyboards and mice i.e.).
>
> I might want to follow in your footsteps. How do you handle usb
> devices?

I'm not sure what you asking here. What do you want to do?

sudo dmesg | tail when I plug in storage to then mount them.
The /dev files are fairly consistent so you could possibly
setup auto mount.

Otherwise, the system/programs generally handle the device and it
should thus be accessible by relevant software, e.g an external
USB optical drive I now use instead of fitting DVD/CD drives
into every computer.

The only problem I've had is hardware that gnu/linux doesn't have
drivers or configuration for.

E.G.1 My "Epson Perfection V350 photo" usb scanner was not recognised
in xsane and I had to ferret out the "device-ids" and add them into the
device file referenced for Epson scanners.

E.G.2; some cheap webcam device that wasn't "supported' in gnu/linux a
few years ago, but now gets bad(intermittent) access under webcamoid,
but I'm not motivated to do as above as it is way down the importance
list.