:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Author: Alessandro Selli
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question??
On 17/11/18 at 22:22, Joel Roth wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 02:20:30PM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
>
>> I note without objection (but rather with active appreciation, on
>> entertainment grounds) that every single one of your talking point so
>> far -- including the one above -- appear to have been copied
>> near-verbatim from the pair of Freedesktop.org UsrMerge advocacy Web
>> pages I dissected in this forum yesterday. Nicely played, sir!
>>
>> The above appears to have been copied from:
>> https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/TheCaseForTheUsrMerge/
> Just to add fuel to the fire, I'll note that among the
> benefits listed is this gem:
>
>     Improved compatibility with current upstream development: In
>     order to minimize the delta from your Linux distribution to
>     upstream development the /usr merge is key.

> If upstream signifies freedesktop.org (and who else could it
> be?) I think this is a pretty frank expression of their
> direction.

  Right, what they stated amounts to declaring: "FD is *the* standard,
FD is Linux."

  We're moving from GNU/Linux to FD/Linux, people!

  This reminds me of the past Gnome people's tech design and HR
blunders, like when they decided people have no right to develop their
own Gnome themes because that would dilute Gnome's "brand value" or when
they tried bullying Transmission developers into adapting their software
to fit Gnome 3's bad GUI designs:

https://igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/gnome-et-al-rotting-in-threes/

«GNOME dev Allan Day writes:

    I’m particularly surprised by the inclusion of themes. It seems bizarre…

    [...]

    The point is that it decreases our brand presence.»

https://trac.transmissionbt.com/ticket/3685

«I guess you have to decide if you are a GNOME app, an Ubuntu app, or an
XFCE app unfortunately. I'm sorry that this is the case but it wasn't
GNOME's fault that Ubuntu has started this fork. And I have no idea what
XFCE is or does sorry.

It is my hope that you are a GNOME app.»

  Now it's Free(lol)desktop's turn to try to bully everyone into their
breeding pen.

  What could possibily go wrong?

--
Alessandro Selli <alessandroselli@???>