:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Author: Simon Hobson
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question??
Alessandro Selli <alessandroselli@???> wrote:

> If Devuan is going to have a brilliant future it is going to disenfranchise itself from Debian. Being forever a Debian without systemd will keep it in the backseat, vulnerable to all the odd decisions and arguable development directions that Devuan/FD are going to take.

In the long term, Devuan is likely to slowly diverge from Debian - and hopefully will gather support from Debian devs/package maintainers fed up with the Debian shenanigans. it's even possible to foresee a time when Devuan overtakes Debian and Debian ends up as a derivative of Devuan - but a long time off I think.
In the meantime, there simply are not enough Devuan devs to simply dump Debian as an upstream. At the moment, most packages available in Devuan are unmodified Debian packages - there simply is no justification for re-inventing loads of stuff that doesn't need re-inventing, it would be a waste of effort. In the meantime, the devs the Devuan project does have can tackle those packages that need work - mostly de-systemdising broken packages and making substitutes for some bits.