:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Author: Rick Moen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question??
Quoting Stephan Seitz (stse+devuan@???):

> That’s fine for you and your server, but the question is what this
> distribution should do.

Actually, no. That is _not_ the question I was answering. To reresh
your memory, Rowland Perry asked: "Can anybody explain the bad points
of doing the merger?" I did. Sorry my answer didn't meet your needs,
but OTOH it wasn't your question I answered.

> Devuan is for servers and for desktops.

That's nice.

Distro policy is significant and important. But it is not dispositive
of questions like the one Rowland Perry asked.

> And people are using distributions like Devuan to not recompile packages
> with other options.

1. Most local customisations don't require that. Some do.

2. _Some_ people are using distributions like Devuan to completely
avoid local compilation. Others are not. (E.g., you did not speak for
me.)

> And for the record: since the time, /bin, /sbin and /lib are part of
> the same disc as /usr (in my case more then 15 years), I never had a
> need to recover /usr but still had access to /bin or /sbin.

I'm happy for your luck in not needing to follow system administration
best practices in this area, just as I'm happy about domain owners
scraping by with fewer than the minimum three authoritative DNS
nameservers recommended in RFC 2182 section 5 but through good luck not
suffering DNS outages.

Good luck is to be celebrated, particularly when it overcomes avoidable
risk.