:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Author: Stephan Seitz
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question??
On Fr, Nov 16, 2018 at 03:23:53 -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
>My view: I need the contents of /bin, /sbin, /lib, and /lib64
>to be functional if /usr for any reason cannot be, or is not, mounted,
>because the role of those subtrees on my systems is to house tools the
>superuser might need for backup, recovery, system repair, and system
>diagnosis (collectively, 'rescue') in the absence of /usr.

That’s fine for you and your server, but the question is what this
distribution should do. Devuan is for servers and for desktops. And
people are using distributions like Devuan to not recompile packages with
other options.

And for the record: since the time, /bin, /sbin and /lib are part of the
same disc as /usr (in my case more then 15 years), I never had a need to
recover /usr but still had access to /bin or /sbin.

Shade and sweet water!

    Stephan

--
| Public Keys: http://fsing.rootsland.net/~stse/keys.html |