:: Re: [DNG] Stop the madness!
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Stop the madness!
On Sat, Oct 20, 2018 at 11:17:24AM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Oct 2018 07:19:49 +0200
> KatolaZ <katolaz@???> wrote:
>

> > Unfortunately, pointing to a bunch of scripts is not enough:
>
> It's a starting point. Power-user individuals can start using runit
> today, with no action by any developers. But wait, there's more...
>
> > you need
> > somebody who has experience of using runit who is willing to package
> > the whole stuff in a coherent way, IMHO.
>
> Do you mean by "the whole stuff", and what do you mean by "a coherent
> way"? Do you mean packaging each daemon's runit directory with the
> daemon? That can't happen in the near future: Big job. Do you mean
> having a package for all the runit daemons, and that package will
> create all runit directories so all someone has to do after installing
> the daemon is make the symlink?

Or make one package for each daemon's runit directory and make that package
depend on the daemon's own package.

If several daemons are together in one package one could combine their runit
directories in on package too, but that's probably not necessary.

This way runit packages could be gradually, incrementally added to the system.

There may still be a problem with conflict with sysvinit scripts which
presumaby will still be hanging around. Can sysvinit usefully be complicated
so as to check if there is a runit script before it calls the usual init.d
script?

-- hendrik