:: Re: [DNG] Stop the madness!
Author: Jimmy Johnson
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Stop the madness!
On 10/20/18 11:07 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Oct 2018 07:50:48 +0200
> "J. Fahrner" <jf@???> wrote:
>
>> Am 2018-10-21 03:41, schrieb Jimmy Johnson:
>>> Pottering only selling point was the systemd is faster, my testings
>>> on many systems says that's a lie. I'm not saying it can't be
>>> faster, while using systemd if I push and hold the on/off switch my
>>> computer shuts down fast.
>>>
>>> If I understand you, you're trying to dump sysvinit because it's
>>> old, well it's not nearly as old as me and I can still kick butt
>>> and I see nothing wrong using sysv script, as a user it's working
>>> for me, simple config I can read and edit. What's wrong with
>>> that?
>>
>> +1
>
> I already dumped sysvinit 3 years ago because runit is better for my
> needs.
>
> What I said was that if you like sysvinit, use it, but for gosh sakes
> don't take the time and energy to modify it or update it or give it
> systemd features.
>
> By the way, you can use runit on top of sysvinit, which is dead bang
> easy. As a matter of fact, it might be an improvement on pure runit
> because you can run run-once processes from /etc/init.d/rc5.d, and run
> supervised, restarting processes with runit.
>
> SteveT

Steve, I would like to run Devuan with out systemd packages messing with
me or my system. Right now I don't think those packages care what init
you're using, of course they prefer systemd because systemd can and will
change things to accommodate what it wants to do, but those kernel calls
do the same thing using those same systemd packages. Me I can stop those
service I don't need or want, my requirements are simple, but people
running servers, ouch! One other thing I notice is those kernel calls
mess with Intel video drivers big time, ATI and Nvidia don't seem to
suffer as much.

Bottom line is to get Devuan back to what Debian was and dump the
systemd packages, all of them and I'm pretty sure there is someone
working on Devuan doing that vary thing and I wish I could help, all I
know to do is install and test, I've worked close with some past Debian
Developers and they used my testing service and took my help while using
private email.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Slackware64 Current - KDE 4.14.38 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda9
Registered Linux User #380263