:: [DNG] That part SOLVED. Re: No audi…
Author: Erik Christiansen
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] That part SOLVED. Re: No audio on speakers [Was: Re: Audio woes in Ascii - speakers but no headphones
On 16.10.18 17:51, Erik Christiansen wrote:
> On 12.10.18 00:00, Alessandro Selli wrote:
> >   I'd go for the sledgehammer:
> >
> > apt-get -y purge pulseaudio
>
> Sounds good to me. What would one substitute, to provide sound instead?
>
> "No sound" has today hit me too, after bringing my Devuan ascii/ceres
> box up after some weeks in storage. At Multimedia-> Pulseaudio_Volume_Control
> it shows Firefox-Audiostream on the playback tab, and "Output Devices"
> shows "Built-in Audio Analog Stereo", plus "Port: Speakers". The volume
> slider is hard right. But still no sound. :-(
>
> It all worked before the mobo spent a couple of weeks in the dark. I've
> checked the monitor menu to see that it's still set to HDMI, even though
> the video obviously was, as that's there.

Where there's a GUI, there's a way? It turned out that the selection in
"configuration" had spuriously changed while the system was dismantled.

> It was never as loud as I'd like, but no sound at all is no use at all.

With the Pulseaudio_Volume_Control slid hard right, the sound level is
still barely adequate while sitting with one's knees two feet from the
monitor. (It's on the coffee table, fortunately.) ISTR that the ASUS
monitor is supposed to be able to put out 1.5W, well it sounds more like
150 mW to me. And, yes, the monitor's volume control is set to 100%.

Is there any other adjustment in an HDMI connection, which could be
cranked up?

Erik