:: Re: [DNG] Weird network issue - slo…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Weird network issue - slow to resolve IPs [solved]
On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 10:46:29 +0200
Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:

> Le 16/10/2018 à 07:10, Rick Moen a écrit :
> > Quoting golinux@??? (golinux@???):
> >
> >> With help from my Devuan friends the connection times have improved
> >> significantly. After little poking around and a very interesting
> >> talk with my ISP, I decided that the ISP's DNS resolver was
> >> contributing significantly to the slow connection times. A
> >> suggestion from a Devuan ninja, encouraged me install unbound.
> > Ding! Glad that works for you. (And, as other Dng regulars know,
> > I am a huge fan of doing exactly that.)
> >
> > Yes, ISP recursive nameservers are very frequently awful as to
> > performance. Also as to security, privacy, and reliability, by the
> > way. Which is one of several reasons to try running a recursive DNS
> > daemon of your own, on your own side of the pipe, and use that in
> > preference to other people's recursive nameservers.
> >

>     Any reading to recommend about recursive, authoritative or what
> else name servers ?

Yes, yes, yes, yes, YES!

I just got thru updating my unbound doc at
http://troubleshooters.com/linux/unbound_nsd/unbound.htm , and added a
new glossary. This is very necessary because there are so many
contradictory terms for things over the Internet. I'm not saying my
glossary is the most accurate resource on the Internet, but I think my
glossary probably does the best job of de-contradicting terms people
throw around. I spent three weeks writing this glossary. It was one of
the toughest docs I ever wrote: Tougher than any one chapter in Samba
Unleashed.

SteveT

Steve Litt
September 2018 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz