:: Re: [DNG] Weird network issue - slo…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Weird network issue - slow to resolve IPs
On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 02:30:09 -0500
golinux@??? wrote:

> wicd finds a connection automatically. I think it uses DHCP. All
> these years I have managed to avoid the fine points of networking
> because it's always "just worked".
> > Anyway, /etc/resolv.conf is one of the primary configuration files
> > of a Linux system's DNS client software, part of glibc. The
> > 'resolver library' in glibc uses as its sources of DNS resolution
> > information the IP addresses in those 'nameserver nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn'
> > lines. The resolver tries each one in turn, starting with the top
> > line and moving down, until it finds the first one that answers DNS
> > questions.
> >
> > Anyhow, it can be vital to know _what_ server is answering (well or
> > otherwise) your system's DNS questions by default. Looking at
> > /etc/resolv.cofn should answer that question.
> >

> I don't have anything in /etc/resolvconf except an avahi-daemon in
> /update-libc.d/ Maybe I should start by putting 8.8.8.8 in
> /etc/resolvconf?

That's what I'd do, assuming you don't have your own resolver (like
unbound) on your computer or a computer on your LAN. And then I'd do
the following:

chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf

Doing that prevents wicd or anyone else from modifying
your /etc/resolv.conf.

Rick has a less sledgehammer way of preventing wicd messing at
http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Network_Other/resolvconf.html , but I just
weld it shut with the chattr command.

> And OT do I even need avahi installed at all?

I don't have ahavi, and am not seeming to be suffering from it. You
know who the author of ahavi is, don't you?

SteveT

Steve Litt
September 2018 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz