:: Re: [DNG] Weird network issue - slo…
Author: golinux
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Weird network issue - slow to resolve IPs
On 2018-10-14 01:52, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting golinux@??? (golinux@???):
>
>> Well, I picked a few names at random. netflix pops up as soon as I
>> hit enter. Ditto Microsoft, outlook, Apple, twitter, instagram,
>> reddit, snapchat and facebook. Redhat is in a slower lane as is the
>> Linux Foundation. Even Ubuntu takes a while. But I don't get out
>> much so maybe some of you know some popular destinations that I
>> missed.

Thanks for taking the time to do this. When I digest it, just maybe my
issue will be solved.

> I assume you mean using a Web browser. I would suggest starting your
> checks using 'dig'.

Yes.

> But first, a brief interlude about _where_ your nameservice is coming
> from:
>
> If you look in /etc/resolv.conf, you'll see one or more 'nameserver'
> lines. Mine on my server is like this:
>
> $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
> search linuxmafia.com deirdre.org unixmercenary.net
> nameserver 127.0.0.1
> nameserver 198.144.192.2
> nameserver 198.144.192.4
> #nameserver 198.144.195.186
> $
>
> (If you are getting your IP address using DHCP, you are extremely
> likely
> to be getting passed nameserver IP addresses with your IP address
> lease,
> resulting in the DHCP client software overwriting /etc/resolv.conf
> with,
> among other things, 'nameserver nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn' information.

wicd finds a connection automatically. I think it uses DHCP. All these
years I have managed to avoid the fine points of networking because it's
always "just worked".
> Anyway, /etc/resolv.conf is one of the primary configuration files of a
> Linux system's DNS client software, part of glibc. The 'resolver
> library' in glibc uses as its sources of DNS resolution information the
> IP addresses in those 'nameserver nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn' lines. The resolver
> tries each one in turn, starting with the top line and moving down,
> until it finds the first one that answers DNS questions.
>
> Anyhow, it can be vital to know _what_ server is answering (well or
> otherwise) your system's DNS questions by default. Looking at
> /etc/resolv.cofn should answer that question.

I don't have anything in /etc/resolvconf except an avahi-daemon in
/update-libc.d/ Maybe I should start by putting 8.8.8.8 in
/etc/resolvconf?

And OT do I even need avahi installed at all?

That's as much as I can digest atm - the rest of this looks
"challenging". I really need some sleep. To be continued . . .