:: Re: [DNG] Avahi [was Weird network …
Author: Alessandro Selli
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Avahi [was Weird network issue]
On 16/10/18 at 03:31, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Alessandro Selli (alessandroselli@???):
>
>>   "Go to 'Settings', 'Network' and 'Search the local network', when you
>> see the icon with the printer double click on it and accept the download
>> of the driver and install it if you don't have it".
>>
>>   This is the answer I get 99% of the times when I ask.
> Yeah, well, if I got that, I'd pretend to be really grateful, say 'Thank
> you _so_ very much!', and then go quietly figure out the real answer for myself.

  Yes, that's what I end up doing many of the times, usually nmappping
the net for some host with a 515 or 631 port open and directing the
browser to it's IP and see if and what printer is there.  In some larger
enterprise setting this did not work because of some
firewall/intrusion-detection system that'd block my probes.

  I find it amazing how often there is no one who knows anything
technical about the printer, and I do not mean the list of printing or
shared filesystem protocols it supports or if it can take Postscript/PDF
files directly, but not even it's IP or whether at the given IP I can
find the printer itself or some PC acting as a print spooler.  A couple
of times when I asked how comes no one knew anything about the printer I
was answered something like: "Oh well, it got setup by some guy years
ago, I was not even here when he did the job, and anyway nobody bothers
to know so long as it works".  Somehow administering the printer is not
considered a facet of infrastructure sysadminship, it's instead like a
dirty floor: you don't wash it yourself if someone spilled their Double
Hot Chocolate mug on it, you call the janitor to clean up the mess instead.

> https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Dunning-Kruger_effect
> (See also .signature block.)

  Yeah, good reading!

  Thumbs up for Socrates!  ☺