:: Re: [DNG] Avahi [was Weird network …
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Avahi [was Weird network issue]
Le 15/10/2018 à 20:12, Rick Moen a écrit :
>    We noticed, if the network
> became saturated, the stacks became unusable in this order:

> 1. AppleTalk (Apple)
> 2. NetBEUI (Microsoft)
> 3. IPX/SPX (Novell Netware)
>
> The fourth stack, TCP/IP, was never observed to become unusable (though
> of course a severe enough problem_could_ take it down).
>
> The difference owed mostly to good vs. bad design, but in no small part
> to how 'chatty' they were -- how some plastered the network with
> excessive announcement and acknowledgement blasts, and others did not.
>
> The DNS-SD ('dnssd') / mDNS stack_absolutely_, in that regard, reminds
> me of AppleTalk.
>
> Kill it with fire. ;->

    It's true that these networks which work by broadcast consume a lot
of the bandwidth. They aren't designed for large LANs. But service
discovery is something very handy. I imagine it might be centralized
into a local DNS server, with maybe some extension of the protocol,
instead of letting every host talk to every host. I don't want to waste
time figuring out printer properties and maintaining a printer list on
my laptop. There are already too many reasons to waste time.

    Didier