:: Re: [DNG] Avahi [was Weird network …
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Avahi [was Weird network issue]
Le 14/10/2018 à 22:42, Rick Moen a écrit :
> Quoting Didier Kryn (kryn@???):
>
>>     Avahi daemon is the Linux dnssd service. dnssd is a protocol
>> for service discovery on LAN (formerly known as Apple "Bonjour").
>> The essential utility for me is to allow to discover CUPS servers on
>> the LAN, because recent versions of CUPS advertise their presence by
>> the dnssd protocol instead of the former ad hoc protocol.
> dnssd is the most annoyingly and pointlessly chatty network protocol
> since Appletalk. If like me you don't want that crud junking up your
> network, edit the line 'BrowseRemoteProtocols dnssd cups' in cupsd.conf
> to 'BrowseRemoteProtocols none' and restart cupsd. Blessed silence will
> ensue.

    This is fine if you always work in the same place. During my
professional life, I used to travel to various labs and found it
convenient to automatically find, in the cups menu of my laptop, a list
of the local printers. And to always have the list up to date when the
computing department installed/removed old/new printers.

> This of course requires determining a target printer's IP address and
> supported network transports, when configuring printing, rather than
> having it be automagical. (Quelle horreur!)
>
> (Check the authors of Avahi, and you'll see a familiar name.)

    I guess some Lennart guy is involved. I don't think he is pure
evil. The problem is that he hasn't simplicity amongst his targets. But
a few of his things works, like avahi and ifplugd. Maybe Avahi is
chatty, but I never found it on my way reversing any of my configuration
choices or forcing anything on me. After all it is just the
implementation on Linux of a protocol which is now a multi-os standard,
even if it originated in Apple (which isn't a criteria of quality).  I
think one has to remain realistic and only avoid potterware when there
is choice. There is concerning systemd, thanks Devuan, and a few other,
and there is concerning pluseaudio, thanks apulse.

        Didier