:: Re: [DNG] OpenRC and Runit without …
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] OpenRC and Runit without SysVinit packages
On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 10:56:26 +0200
KatolaZ <katolaz@???> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 11:55:29PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:

> > On a related note, I think the best way of acquiring runit run
> > files is to install Void Linux on a VM, install all the various
> > daemons, and then view the run files in /etc/sv/$daemonname/run.
> >
> > Void has had enough time supporting runit that most of their run
> > files work great. The exceptions usually assume device names that
> > shouldn't be assumed.
> >
> > Devuan could thus acquire a whole bunch of run scripts and not have
> > to beg the upstreams to do it.
> >

> The main problem remains how to distribute those scripts, without
> having to fork all the packages that provide a runit script and don't
> have one in the corresponding Debian package.

Who needs packages? Just have all the scripts on a website somewhere,
downloadable. Anybody wanting to use runit just installs the runscript
and makes the symlink. A simple document would tell them how. It's
easier than package handling.

[snip]

> Also, we are not just talking of supporting either openrc or runit,
> but to add support for runit *on top* of sysvinit and openrc.

Yes! As a matter of fact, a good intermediate goal would be runit used
only as a supervisor, on top of sysvinit or on top of sysvinit plus
OpenRC. As such, it would stand alone as a tiny "do one thing and do it
right" process.

> We should definitely find a way through, but I can't see the optimal
> one at the moment :\

I think we should start by enabling runit (and perhaps s6) as a
supervisor only. We could curate runit run scripts mostly from Void
Linux, and make documents on how to switch supervision of a process
from /etc/rc.d/init.d to runit. When lots of people find out how easy
and wonderful it is, the next step will reveal itself.

SteveT

Steve Litt
September 2018 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz