:: Re: [devuan-mirrors] Problem with d…
Author: Evilham
To: devuan-mirrors
Subject: Re: [devuan-mirrors] Problem with deBIan.ipacct.com
Hello,

Am 05/10/2018 um 11:30 schrieb KatolaZ:
> At the moment deb.devuan.org only works on IPv4 (only 'A' records, no
> 'AAAA' ones), and the checks are based on the IPv4 addresses in the
> round-robin pool...
>
> What is the issue about, exactly?

The issue is that using deb.devuan.org results in random fails under
very specific circumstances :-).

I had mistakenly taken the two IPv4 addresses as the same (checked wrong
terminal :-D) but that's not relevant to the point, everything else stands.

I thought the explanation was enough so here goes a more detailed one
with the very specific but not crazy circumstances:

* apt update works because this only fetches Packages.gz and that is
being checked automatically --> is properly set up on all mirrors
* apt install is excecuted, in this case with ncdu but it is valid for
anything that is not forked in devuan.
* apt tries to fetch the file using stored data like repo description
and the Filename entry for the package in question.
In this case: pool/DEBIAN/main/n/ncdu/ncdu_1.12-1+b1_amd64.deb
With hostname deb.devuan.org
* That results in fetching the package with a request being made to:

http://deb.devuan.org/merged/pool/DEBIAN/main/n/ncdu/ncdu_1.12-1+b1_amd64.deb
* OS tries to resolve deb.devuan.org which returns the list of IPs
* OS decides to use 195.85.215.180
* It contacts the IP with:
hostname deb.devuan.org
path /merged/pool/DEBIAN/main/n/ncdu/ncdu_1.12-1+b1_amd64.deb
* That means:

$ curl -I -H 'Host: deb.devuan.org'
http://195.85.215.180/merged/pool/DEBIAN/main/n/ncdu/ncdu_1.12-1+b1_amd64.deb
HTTP/1.1 302 Moved Temporarily