:: Re: [devuan-dev] DATE CHANGE
Author: Evilham
To: devuan-dev
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] DATE CHANGE
Am 06/09/2018 um 22:54 schrieb Jaromil:
> dear Evilham,
>
> On Thu, 06 Sep 2018, Evilham wrote:
>
>> Let's take a step back and realise what you are proposing.
>>
>> I am sorry to say, but proposing cancelling an event that has been
>> announced for long is rather disrespectful Jaromil; so let's just
>> pretend that did not just happen.
>
> nothing was "announced for long". The only trace of this process was
> on this list and replies are lacking. Yours now is starting with an
> accusation, which isn't really constructive let me say.
>
> The only follow up to the call of a d1conf was here and on the private
> VUA group which is waiting for a final date/place to join.
>
> So please lets leave out "respect" issues. I'm responding to anyone
> here and trying to facilitate consensus. If you aren't proposing any
> solution, as Nico in fact did, then I don't really get the sense of
> your message. Nevertheless, I'll give you the information you ask,
> perhaps you can help facilitating, rather than driving accusations?

I was waiting on external factors to see if I could fit it in my
November and planned on booking flights, incidentally, yesterday.

It looks like I worded that badly and I apologise for the confusion, but
from your previous message, what you appeared to be suggesting was:
cancelling an event that has been announced for a while (Hack4Glarus)
and holding d1conf *instead*, without actively trying to figure out if
they could happen together.
Which is a thing that IMO should not even be suggested when a venue is
being offered; as you know planning is hard and they have already been
planning their event.

If I misread that, then accept my apologies. If I didn't let's figure
out if the two things can happen together, which would be nice, and if
not, AMS is always a choice; the date would still be not ideal though.

In any case, by answering the questions I made we are already moving on
with the constructive stuff that will clear up the question of "is that
doable?", then only "is that desirable?" remains.

>> There are a couple important questions that have to be considered before
>> anything and that would have had to be the first things addressed:
>>
>> * How many people are we expected for dev1conf?
>
> my wet finger estimation is 100
>
>> * How many RSVP's are there?
>
> none, because we never announced it nor started reservation processes.
>
>> * How big *is* the venue in AMS?
>
> it can fit 99 people standing
>
>> * What *is* planned?
>
> We are planning
>
>> * What *is* needed in terms of equipment?
>
> besides projector and amplification depending from the acoustics of
> the place, there is the need for a viable network connection for the
> streaming. Also we expect people to give presentations from remote.
> Then there is the recording aspect and we may have most of it covered
> at dyne alread.
>
>> If any of those things make dev1conf in Glarus (with Hack4Glarus
>> happening simultaneously) incompatible, then that's the answer.
>
> there is no answer until Glarus gives one. Of course time is a
> constrain, so if people from Glarus do not give an answer in useful
> time then we should just move on.
>
> What do you suggest to be the deadline from an answer from Glarus?
> Considering my answers above, what is exactly the answers you expect?
>

>> As for the location itself: it's 2 hours by train from the airport and
>> the trip is gorgeous and pleasant. Swiss trains are nice and, actually
>> not crazy expensive: 25CHF each way.
>
> good to know! great.
>
>> That may be an issue for people travelling from afar, but: are there
>> many and would they not be willing to do that?
>
> not sure. So far only golinux express her choice.
>
> We are inviting fsmithred and paying the trip from Boston, which is
> not really expensive to Amsterdam. Then we shall also establish a
> guideline for trips paid: who is going to get their trip paid from
> Amsterdam and elsewhere? I suggest that we cover caretakers trips, as
> we did with yours the last time, unless caretakers refuse and cover
> them by themselves. Plus the crew that does the streaming and filming.
>
>> If that were the case, it would also be an argument against the dev1conf
>> in Glarus idea and it goes back to AMS being the most practical.
>
> ACK
>
>> TBH, I'd expect the first dev1conf to be pretty familiar, specially with
>> a somewhat short-noticed change of date; but you would have more
>> information :-).
>
> All the information is on this list. The sooner we get to a conclusion
> the better of course.

Sounds good, just make sure this is not being over-dimensioned :-) if in
the end, it'd be a thing for 20 people, planning for 100 may be an overkill.

Since time is tight, I'd suggest the important things are *fixed* until
next Friday the latest; but I've never planned a big event, so maybe I'm
just wrong at thinking months in advance :-p, it's just from experience
people are busy and plan months ahead. I for one, already have flight
tickets to CH on those dates.
--
Evilham