:: Re: [DNG] Provides: libsystemd0 (wa…
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Provides: libsystemd0 (was Re: systemd and ssh-server)
On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 07:09:59PM +0000, Daniel Abrecht wrote:

[cut]

> Another problem could arise though, how stable are the systemd APIs? I
> once wrote https://git.devuan.org/devuan-packages/sd_journal_shim , it
> generates the libjournal library and just provides a subset of
> systemds logging functions so it can be used as a shim for those, even
> though it can't replace libsystemd. I think it's still in
> experimental, even though I'm not sure if it still works, because
> thankfully, noone seams to use the systemd journald APIs still, so
> noone seams to have had any need for this shim.

I have actually gone all the way down the rabbit's hole [*], and
discovered that part of the libsystemd API, that is the stuff normally
used by most of the services to tell systemd that they are alive and
is mostly what we are talking about here, has been "frozen" and
guaranteed to remain stable. So nooping them once should be
sufficient.

journald is another beast, but it shouldn't be hard to transform most
of the calls into equivalent syslog calls and/or optional shellouts.

It would be good if more people would join the effor of actually
getting into the rabbit hole. I should actually put in git.devuan.org
the repo I am currently working on. The more, the merrier.

HND

KatolaZ

[*] You can fear only what you don't understand, and you can
successfully fight only what you fully understood.