:: Re: [DNG] Is Void OK? Was: Keep it …
Author: Alessandro Selli
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Is Void OK? Was: Keep it alive
On Fri, 18 May 2018 at 21:58:17 -0700
Rick Moen <rick@???> wrote:

> Quoting Alessandro Selli (alessandroselli@???):
>
>> Whom shouldn't do that, the distro developer or the distro's admin?
>
> The various people in charge of a distribution acting in a suitable
> collaborative fashion,

Which, in the case at hand, was just one person.

> or other responsible parties acting as decided
> and arranged by said distro.

Which, in the case at hand, was nobody else.

> The question you raise a change of subject

Not at all, the subject has always been "how should a minor
GNU/Linux distribution be organized in order to prevent it from setting due to
a single person vanishing into thin air" like it happened to Void Linux.
There have always been several distributions, generally those that do not
cater to the enterprise business, who are managed by just one person
who singlehandedly takes all the major decisions concerning the distro's
direction, architecture and infrastructure management. Distros that have a
bus factor of 1 may not lack support from a sizeable community, if they
survive a few yers they do have a sufficient number of competent developers.
Still just one person can make it disapper in terms of web site, domain and
repositories becoming unaccessible to everyone else. For many years
Slackware was such a distro (I don't knnow if it still is only in
Volkerding's hands), Bodhi Linux is and many of the lesser ones are. Void too
was such a distro.

> to details of distribution administration that Linux distributions
> themselves can and should work out, and routinely do.

Yes, they should. Still, many do not.

> I am guessing you merely wish to perpetuate an argument.

I am clarifying what you evidently misunderstood.

> I prefer not,
> and have no interest in further discussion on your (changed) topic.

It never changed, and you know, as you've being replying on the very same
topic I am writing about: distro management, distros with a bus_factor=1,
human sysadminship redundancy that is capable of in depth intervention into
the technical infrastructure the distro relies on. Which is what IMO Adam
Borowski meant by "You need redundancy", as he was not writing of hosting
providers or physical infrastructure, but of "A piece of infrastructure
that's run by a person who gets run over the bus".

Alessandro