:: Re: [DNG] request: please evaluate/…
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] request: please evaluate/provide elogind-or-other ASAP
On Fri, Jan 05, 2018 at 09:33:43AM +0100, Adam Borowski wrote:

[cut]

> Simon McVittie said:
>
> # It looks as though elogind is a fork of systemd-logind with reduced
> # functionality, no dependency on systemd as pid 1, and logind's D-Bus API
> # (so, basically systemd-shim done right), so it should be possible for
> # most of those to talk to elogind's logind-compatible API without code
> # changes (via libsystemd, even). Now that we have versioned Provides,
> # one way to achieve that might be for implementations of the logind API
> # to add Provides: logind (= v) where v is the version of systemd whose
> # logind API is implemented (currently 219 for elogind and 236 for systemd),
> # and for depending packages to depend on libpam-systemd (>= v) | logind
> # (>= v), or even on default-logind | logind (>= v) (with default-logind
> # provided by libpam-systemd on Debian) to be nice to anti-systemd
> # derivatives. Obviously >= v can be omitted if recent logind features
> # are not required.
>
> which sounds like a good solution to me.

That would definitely be a great solution, indeed. And would avoid a
lot of useless work to Devuan and to other distros. In particular the
latter proposal is very interesting, since it would allow a drop-in
replacement of systemd-logind based on letting elogind Provides:
default-logind

If there is anything we can do to support the inclusion of that
Provides in Debian, please let us know.

Thanks

KatolaZ