:: Re: [DNG] rc.local removed from Deb…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] rc.local removed from Debian 9, rly?
On Tue, 21 Nov 2017 14:53:28 +0000
KatolaZ <katolaz@???> wrote:

> As Olaf explained, the problem seems to originate in the fact that the
> initscripts package is not any more marked as important. Hence, if you
> don't have it, you won't get it by default. I personally agree on the
> fact that this is somehow a regression.

If this is in any way a regression, or in fact if it's at all likely to
provide unexpected behavior or breakage for Devuan users, why not do
the following within the installation script:

if test -f /etc/rc.local; then
  echo '#!/bin/sh -e' > /etc/rc.local
  echo 'exit 0' > /etc/rc.local
fi
# CREATE syvinit-style /etc/init.d/S99zz_rclocal
#     with its start case running /etc/rc.local
# Use sysvinit style daemon controllers (update-rc.d I suspect)
#     to create the necessary level symlinks

Do that, and no matter what Debian does to rc.local in the future, it
works perfectly in Devuan.

SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2017 featured book: Troubleshooting: Just the Facts
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tjust