:: Re: [DNG] hotplug of SD cards fails…
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] hotplug of SD cards fails on Jessie
Le 20/11/2017 à 19:13, aitor_czr a écrit :

> Hi Didier,
>
> On 11/21/2017 04:37 PM, Didier Kryn wrote:
>> Le 20/11/2017 à 14:37, aitor_czr a écrit :
>>>
>>> Hi again Didier,

>>> I misunderstood your question, i thought you were trying to mount an
>>> USB device on a system *installed* in a SD card.
>>>
>>> Forget what i said so far :)
>>>
>>>   Aitor.
>>>

>>     I mean: when I insert an USB memory key, an associated icon pops
>> up on my desktop, but when I insert an SD card, nothing shows up. The
>> system is on a disk.
>>
>>     I don't know how xfce is informed of the presence of a new
>> device. I'm afraid it's by dbus.
>>
>>         Didier
>
> If you want to avoid dbus, then i recommend you to use pmount instead
> of udisks/udisks2. I have had a system detecting physical devices
> without dbus (using, as i said, vdev and pmount). RecentIy i uploaded
> an image of gnuinos including both of them. Dbus also has been removed
> from the dependencies of the network manager (simple-netaid instead of
> wicd) but dbus is still present in the system due to gvfs :(

    The tool which allows mounting/unmounting of hot-plug device in
xfce is using gvfs.
    I have watched the uevent netlink and I see that Udev reacts to the
insertion/removal by sending events to libudev, and I think this is part
of the way used to inform xfce, because libudev contains call-backs or
something like that for applications to get informed of events.

    Having an icon poping on the desktop on insertion of a hotplud
device is a very confortable and sensible way to manage external
devices; I'm not yet ready to give this up, even at the cost of keeping
gvfs, and dbus. What I wonder for now is why this doesn't work for SD
cards while it works for USB.

    There are other ways of being informed of the creation/deletion of
a device and mounting/unmounting it: inotify can be used to be warned,
and sudo to the get the permission, instead of policykit. I'm just too
lazzy to write an application with a GUI to do this, unless I find some
simple enough graphics toolkit.

    Didier