:: Re: [DNG] rc.local removed from Deb…
Author: Dave Turner
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] rc.local removed from Debian 9, rly?
On 19/11/17 14:10, Jaromil wrote:
> hi all
>
> Can anyone clarify how /etc/rc.local is being removed in Debian 9?
>
> I got this from rumors in bitcoin's core development, since I'm not
> subscribed to Debian lists. The rumor is confirmed by some online
> debates on gitlab and stack overflow.
>
> Can someone point out to the decision process for this?
>
> Following up after the conversation on redis, when we had the elected
> Debian leader chiming in here to defend his position and keep deleting
> init.d scripts, I still believe this is again "even worst than I
> thought" and it is "vandalism".
>
> This will certainly keep playing in favor of our fork since
> no-nonsense people will come this way, but is very painful to see
> Debian's users are being mistreated to this point.
>
> What is happening, and is a pattern, is that parts of Debian that work
> well and are widely used by people are being arbitrarily removed. This
> doesn't make Debian "universal" anymore, while betraying once again
> its mandate of respecting user's freedom. Noone can trust Debian if it
> keeps changing things that work for some, just because of imposing a
> new thing that others like. Well beyond and nothwitstanding the
> qualities of any free and open source software, Debian is clearly
> harming another sort of freedom, the sort that was granted in the free
> space we all knew rc.local has always been..
>
> is there any internal discussion about such governance issues in
> Debian? is there any hope the current leadership will change and
> perhaps repair what this vandalism is breaking?
>

> ciao

I run debian sid on my laptop. I don't know why it has been done but if
I've understood what you need to know, this is how rc.local is now at
the sharp end:-

/etc/init.d/rc.local

#! /bin/sh
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          rc.local
# Required-Start:    $all
# Required-Stop:
# Default-Start:     2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop:
# Short-Description: Run /etc/rc.local if it exist
### END INIT INFO

PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin

. /lib/init/vars.sh
. /lib/lsb/init-functions

do_start() {
    if [ -x /etc/rc.local ]; then
            [ "$VERBOSE" != no ] && log_begin_msg "Running local boot
scripts (/etc/rc.local)"
        /etc/rc.local
        ES=$?
        [ "$VERBOSE" != no ] && log_end_msg $ES
        return $ES
    fi
}

case "$1" in
    start)
    do_start
        ;;
    restart|reload|force-reload)
        echo "Error: argument '$1' not supported" >&2
        exit 3
        ;;
    stop|status)
        # No-op
        exit 0
        ;;
    *)
        echo "Usage: $0 start|stop" >&2
        exit 3
        ;;
esac

+++++++++++++++++++++++

/etc/rc.local

#!/bin/sh -e
#
# rc.local
#
# This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
# Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
# value on error.
#
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.
#
# By default this script does nothing.

exit 0