:: Re: [DNG] rc.local removed from Deb…
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] rc.local removed from Debian 9, rly?
On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 19:32:48 +0000, Dave wrote in message
<755e8783-b399-2941-0d2d-40aac66294c3@???>:

> On 19/11/17 14:10, Jaromil wrote:
> > hi all
> >
> > Can anyone clarify how /etc/rc.local is being removed in Debian 9?
> >
> > I got this from rumors in bitcoin's core development, since I'm not
> > subscribed to Debian lists. The rumor is confirmed by some online
> > debates on gitlab and stack overflow.
> >
> > Can someone point out to the decision process for this?
> >
> > Following up after the conversation on redis, when we had the
> > elected Debian leader chiming in here to defend his position and
> > keep deleting init.d scripts, I still believe this is again "even
> > worst than I thought" and it is "vandalism".
> >
> > This will certainly keep playing in favor of our fork since
> > no-nonsense people will come this way, but is very painful to see
> > Debian's users are being mistreated to this point.
> >
> > What is happening, and is a pattern, is that parts of Debian that
> > work well and are widely used by people are being arbitrarily
> > removed. This doesn't make Debian "universal" anymore, while
> > betraying once again its mandate of respecting user's freedom.
> > Noone can trust Debian if it keeps changing things that work for
> > some, just because of imposing a new thing that others like. Well
> > beyond and nothwitstanding the qualities of any free and open
> > source software, Debian is clearly harming another sort of freedom,
> > the sort that was granted in the free space we all knew rc.local
> > has always been..
> >
> > is there any internal discussion about such governance issues in
> > Debian? is there any hope the current leadership will change and
> > perhaps repair what this vandalism is breaking?
> >

> > ciao

> I run debian sid on my laptop. I don't know why it has been done but
> if I've understood what you need to know, this is how rc.local is now
> at the sharp end:-
>
> /etc/init.d/rc.local

..you have no /etc/rc.local ?

> #! /bin/sh
> ### BEGIN INIT INFO
> # Provides:          rc.local
> # Required-Start:    $all
> # Required-Stop:
> # Default-Start:     2 3 4 5
> # Default-Stop:
> # Short-Description: Run /etc/rc.local if it exist
> ### END INIT INFO
>

> PATH=/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin
>
> . /lib/init/vars.sh
> . /lib/lsb/init-functions
>
> do_start() {
>     if [ -x /etc/rc.local ]; then
>             [ "$VERBOSE" != no ] && log_begin_msg "Running local
> boot scripts (/etc/rc.local)"
>         /etc/rc.local
>         ES=$?
>         [ "$VERBOSE" != no ] && log_end_msg $ES
>         return $ES
>     fi
> }
>
> case "$1" in
>     start)
>     do_start
>         ;;
>     restart|reload|force-reload)
>         echo "Error: argument '$1' not supported" >&2
>         exit 3
>         ;;
>     stop|status)
>         # No-op
>         exit 0
>         ;;
>     *)
>         echo "Usage: $0 start|stop" >&2
>         exit 3
>         ;;
> esac
>
> +++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> /etc/rc.local
>
> #!/bin/sh -e
> #
> # rc.local
> #
> # This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
> # Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
> # value on error.
> #
> # In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
> # bits.
> #
> # By default this script does nothing.
>
> exit 0
>
> ++++++++++++++++++
>
> DaveT

..how old is your /etc/init.d/rc.local?
As in: ll /etc/init.d/rc.local &&dpkg -l initscripts |grep ^ii |fmt -tu

..mine are:
root@d44:~# ll /etc/init.d/rc.local &&dpkg -l initscripts |grep ^ii
|fmt -tu
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 820 May 29 2015 /etc/init.d/rc.local
ii initscripts 2.88dsf-59.2+devuan2 amd64 scripts for initializing and
shutting down the system
root@d44:~#
rir:~# ll /etc/init.d/rc.local &&dpkg -l initscripts |grep ^ii |fmt -tu
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 820 Apr 21 2014 /etc/init.d/rc.local
ii initscripts 2.88dsf-59 armhf scripts for initializing and shutting
down the system
rir:~#
root@raspberrypi:~# ll /etc/init.d/rc.local &&dpkg -l initscripts |grep
^ii |fmt -tu -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 782 Oct 15
2012 /etc/init.d/rc.local ii initscripts 2.88dsf-41+deb7u1 armhf
scripts for initializing and shutting down the system
root@raspberrypi:~#

..no /etc/rc.local.

Scenarios always come in sets of three: