:: Re: [devuan-dev] Devuan Council dis…
Author: Jaromil
To: devuan developers internal list
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Devuan Council discussion
thanks Evilham,

my thoughts:

On Tue, 10 Oct 2017, Evilham wrote:

> There is no agreement when it comes to the way decisions are made
> (majority of 3 vs. consensus) or the kind of authority.

IMHO at least until we reach the ASCII release and have a Devuan
specific infrastructure in place is very much necessary to have a
majority of 3 votes of our CTTE when no consensus can be reached.

When in the past I said we need to use consensus, I meant it only for
the nomination of the 5 components of the CTTE.

A sort of turf war is already taking place in Devuan, even on barely
significant decisions, where lack of action should instead lead to
laissez-faire. Without a *quick* method for conflict resolution we
won't get out of the stall. In future, what we need to avoid is
situations in which a minority of the CTTE can impose their view of
how to do things on others, holding access and occupying tasks that
aren't completed. The community gathered here at large should also be
listened on these matters and ideally we should extend to all the
process of governance in some way, at least through an open and well
educated debate, finally learning how to be enablers, or facilitators
as it was mentioned.

Then some more decisions ahead of us I can think of now include:

- final plan for the Devuan build instractucture (old/new server setup
and establish common practices for setup documentation)

- dependency of the core infrastructure from gitlab

- udev/eudev switch

- inclusion of more developers with access to experimental and
proposed repositories

- security assessment of infrastructural vulnerabilities and general
ACL practices leaning towards security by convention rather than by
encryption.

I recommend in the close future we should quickly debate these
decisions, evaluate possibilities and resources and actual capacity
(avoiding wishful thinking!) and framing the options for consensus or
vote.

Devuan needs an acceleration and we have the force to do it. This is
the time. Lets please close the CTTE nominations this week and move
forward. I am flexible and willing to sacrifice my opinions to speed
up consensus, IMO all nominees are trusthworty and conscious of what
Devuan needs now. As a result of the nominations all CTTE members
should receive access to all Devuan's infrastructure, free to operate
on common plans and to introduce new volunteers.

ciao

--
~.,_   Denis Roio aka Jaromil    http://Dyne.org think &do tank
    "+.   CTO and co-founder      free/open source developers