:: [devuan-dev] Devuan Council discuss…
Author: Evilham
To: devuan-dev
Subject: [devuan-dev] Devuan Council discussion
This is based on the Mailing List and IRC. If anything is wrong or
incomplete, feel free to comment on it.
As usual, everyone, please keep it civil.

Last week the "Devuan Council" concept was introduced, the very basic
consensus seems to be expanding what currently is a group of 3 "LEAD"
roles, to a "Council" of 5 *active* "LEAD" roles.

There is agreement when it comes to which access to infra these people
should have.
There is no agreement when it comes to the way decisions are made
(majority of 3 vs. consensus) or the kind of authority.
Agreement when it comes to who these 5 people are is also lacking.
Also no obvious agreement when it comes to nextime's immediate future
status in the project.

A very basic observation: if currently there are 3 LEAD roles who are
supposed to make decisions, there has to be consensus amongst them when
it comes to this. We, as a community can provide useful input, but in
the end it is this group of 3 that is supposed to decide. Therefore it
is a critical moment for Devuan and nextime *himself* has to make his
position clear.
Specially if in the future his involvement could be decisive. *Now* is
the time to set precedent and show that, when needed, he will be there.
(please, please, don't read that as a personal attack on him; these are
cold facts. It's not a moment to read what he said to X or Y, but what
he has to say himself)

*** opinions follow this line ***

>From what I've read, what is more likely to be *currently* accepted by

all parties is:
- Consensus-based leadership of 5
- These 5 people:
  - Centurion_Dan: current LEAD
  - Jaromil: current LEAD and parazyd as a proxy for this vote
      parazyd: good will, tech ability and great work on devuan
  - KatolaZ: tech ability, enabler, initiative and great work on devuan
  - rrq: cold-headedness, problem-solver, tech ability
  - fsmithred: cold-headedness, Desktop-User vision, great work
- nextime: as inactive LEAD, whose input should be consulted when
consensus is missing. When he is able to regularly devote time to Devuan
and expresses his intention of doing so himself, state of affairs should
be revisited to include him.

Notice my name was thrown around as well for the group of 5, yet I am
not listing myself. I would be OK with that, however: I'd think having
someone with a more end-user oriented vision in that group is a positive
thing for Devuan, therefore fsmithred.
rrq is a cold-headed and very problem-solving person, that makes him
perfect for the role. Plus he is already deeply involved with solving
blockers in infrastructure.
As for KatolaZ, he has shown ability and initiative when it comes to
both doing and enabling people so they are able to do.

Having a defined process for decision-making and *everyone involved
being active* should help channel energy and efforts towards things that
can be deployed in a mostly frictionless fashion.

Notice this doesn't mean nobody else has access to parts of the infra,
just about the way big decisions are made. For example, giving/revoking
access to specific services/servers.

Having said that, I link to a related email I wrote about a month ago
which may be worth revisiting:
https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/20170914.060050.e2c93067.en.html

*** useful comments supporting the above follow this line ***

Am 05/10/2017 um 11:03 schrieb Jaromil:
> Devuan will never be the result of a single person
> masterplan, nor that of a group (not even us at Dyne.org). It is the
> achievement of a community effort which is *OPEN* to new developers
> and contributors and must be for its own survival, while carefully
> establishing each other expertise and capacity.

*Jaromil's Nomination of parazyd and KatolaZ for LEAD position, which:*