:: Re: [devuan-dev] Notes - Devuan mee…
Author: Evilham
To: devuan-dev
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Notes - Devuan meet Oct. 04/05 2017
Late to the party, had to make a 20º C trip and overcome a bad cold :).

That being said, a warm welcome to those who want to get involved!
A couple notes on, well, last week's notes.

Am 05/10/2017 um 6:50 schrieb golinux@???:
> # golinux
>   - New wiki irc channel #devuan-wiki
>   - Made some updates to d.o.  Evilham's set up is working well.
>   - Install isos till jessie EOL? - (~parazyd) yes.

A note on that: for archival reasons, it would be interesting to have
installers work "forever" (meaning for as long as it's viable); not just
until EOL.

> # blinkdog
>   - Will attend; with audio/video!
>   - Honest Discussion: http://smbc-comics.com/comic/honest-discussion
>   - Wiki formatting
> https://friendsofdevuan.org/doku.php/community:development:build_system_improvements

Thank you! I had somewhat neglected those. A wiki is a much better place
for that. Will take again a good look :).

> # parazyd
>   - attending
>   - updating ascii roadmap as i'm going
> https://pad.dyne.org/pad/#/1/edit/L2WRkjoDnsWGCEJ0Zj8Xfw/yFwOTWDSr5gKOK2R7WksGa1U

Good work, sorry I hadn't commented on your thread about that, so I'll
do it here: pretty much totally agree with you: ascii should go out as
soon as viable, I think we've made progress compared the moment jessie
was released, so it's not a matter of "just doing the same".
Even if not definitive, ascii development time has seen steps towards
the distro goal.

> # tremon
>   - another debian refugee among us! welcome
>   - sw dev and infra maintainance
>   - working on a buildbot infra using gitlab CI for unit testing
>   - hooking into the gitlab CI process for building
>   - working on debian packaging for a new buildbot version
>   - buildbot is an interesting new alternative to jenkins
>     with less features

I'm glad to see a mention of buildbot, had been reluctant to mention it
myself :). It *is* an interesting alternative to jenkins which could
simplify the setup.
As a bit of a tangential side note: buildbot uses Twisted. I have a
couple tickets to review over there.

I should add a couple things which we can either discuss here or in this
week's meet:

TLS Certificates
================
The past few days there have been some monit alerts, I want to follow up
on those to make sure we solve the root issue, not just the symptom.

Devuan.www
----------
Manually restarted nginx last week so that the new cert is used.
Today, certbot call was adapted as per KatolaZ email on July 17th 2017,
so that the *used* cert never expires.
The call should look like:
/path/to/script/certbot-auto renew --no-self-upgrade --post-hook
"/etc/init.d/nginx restart"

packages.devuan.org
-------------------
Someone (Centurion_Dan?) restarted nginx there. Disaster avoided for
now. However: was the call to certbot modified so it doesn't happen
again in 60 days? (see above)

webstats.nexlab.net
-------------------
I am guessing only nextime has access there; can someone ping him about
this? I could try, but I'm afraid it'd be in vain :). The cert expires
on the 17th of this month.
While on this topic, we should probably move this to a devuan-specific
server. I have a couple piwik instances running, so I could help set
that up. It's no mystery though, anyone can move this forward if there
is a dns name and a basic web setup with PHP.
However, I do raise a question: do we need this at all? Do we use
it/check it? How often? Who has access to it? *is it useful for Devuan?*
--
Evilham