:: Re: [devuan-dev] Notes - Devuan mee…
Author: Jaromil
To: devuan developers internal list
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Notes - Devuan meet Oct. 04/05 2017
On Thu, 05 Oct 2017, KatolaZ wrote:

> > # centuriondan
> >   - concerns about centralisation of governance in dyne
> >   - agreement on enlarging the lead group with a community process
> >   - agreement on enhancing the infrastructure and bringing it out of
> >     nextime's
> >   - no access to the vpn node is a problem because we cannot add CI
> >     nodes
> >   - newtonia: so far frustrating to reach consensus on a firewalling
> >     setup

> We are stuck on the apparent difficulties on migrating stuff from
> nemesis to newtonia.

ACK. thanks Katolaz. Can you coordinate with Ralph on this please?

Daniel: can you please grant me also root access to "nemesis"?  I only
        have console access.  I intend to study the situation myself
        and facilitate a debate among experts, as you also mention you
        cannot have all on your shoulders.

> Dan mentioned that nextime had scripts for that, but I have never
> seen them.

There is no lack of expertise about ganeti within our dev group.

OTOH nextime told me he has no time to dedicate to Devuan so we should
take this sort of communication as wishful thinking. In the past we
have been blocked by wishful thinking already and I believe those of
us who do not have time need not to commit any further than they can.

In any case Devuan will never be the result of a single person
masterplan, nor that of a group (not even us at Dyne.org). It is the
achievement of a community effort which is *OPEN* to new developers
and contributors and must be for its own survival, while carefully
establishing each other expertise and capacity.

As such I believe that the concern of centralisation by one
organisation that is helping the most Devuan to survive is pure
political speculation that do not fit well within the emergency
situation we are living, with a leadership that becomes less reliable
and refuses to extend responsibilities.

It is not Dyne.org's task, but this community task to overcome this
empasse by all means necessary and for the good of the Devuan project.

As I said already in the meeting, I stand as one among the current
leadership advocating for its extension, hoping we can reach consensus
(not through voting)

I endorse the nomination as new co-lead in Devuan of

- Ivan 'Parazyd' J, because:
he is most knowledgeable about the Devuan's SDK, authoring it himself
he is a stakeholder in Devuan, since his heads distro is based on it
he has good knowledge of ganeti
he is well able to keep passwords in a secure fashion
he is active on the Devuan project since early 2015

- Vincenzo 'Katolaz' Nicosia, because:
he is most knowledgeable about UNIX, POSIX shell scripting, secure C
coding and complex networks, also holding an academic position
related to these topics
he is a stakeholder in Devuan, since his minimal live is based on it
and became an officially distributed flavor of Devuan Jessie
he is well able to keep passwords in a secure fashion
he is active on the Devuan project since early 2015

I have asked the nominees and they have already accepted this
nomination. This nomination is not a call for votes or approval here,
is a proposal to be approved by all LEADs in position: me, nextime and
Dan and will bring the LEADS to 5 with a quorum of 3 on votes.

At last please keep in mind the LEAD position in Devuan entails of
'executive' powers on infrastructure decisions, meaning that all LEADS
have in custody password accesses to all Devuan infrastructure and can
grant access to volunteers when this is decided and clearly
communicated. Also and only in case of controversy LEADS are called to
express an opinion about it and the majority will enforce this
decision (as in infrastructure changes, firewall setups and what not)

thanks everyone for your attention and please at all times avoid
personalisation of this discussion and avoid any political argument
based on feelings or sympathy, but stick to facts.

ciao

--
~.,_   Denis Roio aka Jaromil    http://Dyne.org think &do tank
    "+.   CTO and co-founder      free/open source developers