:: Re: [devuan-dev] Notes - Devuan mee…
Author: golinux
To: devuan developers internal list
New-Topics: [devuan-dev] Nominations for Devuan Council (Re: Notes - Devuan meet Oct. 04/05 2017)
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Notes - Devuan meet Oct. 04/05 2017
On 2017-10-05 04:03, Jaromil wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Oct 2017, KatolaZ wrote:
>
>> > # centuriondan
>> >   - concerns about centralisation of governance in dyne
>> >   - agreement on enlarging the lead group with a community process
>> >   - agreement on enhancing the infrastructure and bringing it out of
>> >     nextime's
>> >   - no access to the vpn node is a problem because we cannot add CI
>> >     nodes
>> >   - newtonia: so far frustrating to reach consensus on a firewalling
>> >     setup

>> We are stuck on the apparent difficulties on migrating stuff from
>> nemesis to newtonia.
>
> ACK. thanks Katolaz. Can you coordinate with Ralph on this please?
>
> Daniel: can you please grant me also root access to "nemesis"?  I only
>         have console access.  I intend to study the situation myself
>         and facilitate a debate among experts, as you also mention you
>         cannot have all on your shoulders.

>> Dan mentioned that nextime had scripts for that, but I have never
>> seen them.
>
> There is no lack of expertise about ganeti within our dev group.
>
> OTOH nextime told me he has no time to dedicate to Devuan so we should
> take this sort of communication as wishful thinking. In the past we
> have been blocked by wishful thinking already and I believe those of
> us who do not have time need not to commit any further than they can.
>
> In any case Devuan will never be the result of a single person
> masterplan, nor that of a group (not even us at Dyne.org). It is the
> achievement of a community effort which is *OPEN* to new developers
> and contributors and must be for its own survival, while carefully
> establishing each other expertise and capacity.
>
> As such I believe that the concern of centralisation by one
> organisation that is helping the most Devuan to survive is pure
> political speculation that do not fit well within the emergency
> situation we are living, with a leadership that becomes less reliable
> and refuses to extend responsibilities.
>
> It is not Dyne.org's task, but this community task to overcome this
> empasse by all means necessary and for the good of the Devuan project.
>
> As I said already in the meeting, I stand as one among the current
> leadership advocating for its extension, hoping we can reach consensus
> (not through voting)
>
> I endorse the nomination as new co-lead in Devuan of
>
> - Ivan 'Parazyd' J, because:
> he is most knowledgeable about the Devuan's SDK, authoring it himself
> he is a stakeholder in Devuan, since his heads distro is based on it
> he has good knowledge of ganeti
> he is well able to keep passwords in a secure fashion
> he is active on the Devuan project since early 2015
>
> - Vincenzo 'Katolaz' Nicosia, because:
> he is most knowledgeable about UNIX, POSIX shell scripting, secure C
> coding and complex networks, also holding an academic position
> related to these topics
> he is a stakeholder in Devuan, since his minimal live is based on it
> [...]

With nextime's absence, the LEADS would actually be four. So I suggest
adding one more LEAD so the decisional group would actually be 5.

That being said, I would like to add Ralph Ronnquist to the list of
candidates. His many years of experience and cautious approach to
problem-solving would be an asset to the mix. Since he is now involved
in setting up newtonia, he seems like a logical addition. He has
accepted the nomination.

golinux