:: Re: [DNG] What if...
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] What if...
On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 12:59:20 +0100, KatolaZ wrote in message
<20170918115920.GJ23169@???>:

> On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 07:46:34AM -0400, Renaud OLGIATI wrote:
> > ...I upgrade my Debian Wheezy LTS to Devuan Jessie ?
> >

> ...you get a Devuan Jessie? :D
>
> > What happens then to those packages I need/use which are not in the
> > Devuan repositories ?
>
> Everything that is is Debian Jessie in in Devuan Jessie. The opposite
> is not true, though.
>

> > Will the older versions still run ? Or will the upgrade remove
> > them ?
> >

> An "apt-get upgrade" will never remove packages, only replace them
> with newer versions.
>
> An "apt-get dist-upgrade" might remove some packages and replace them
> with something that does the same job, but is for instance in another
> package/comboination of packages.

..if you still worry about the ways "apt-get dist-upgrade" want to do
things, try e.g. "aptitude safe-upgrade", "Perform a safe upgrade",
or "aptitude full-upgrade" "Perform an upgrade, possibly installing
and removing packages", these will often solve these things at least
slightly differently to apt-get.
And there are many other ways to do this, me, I spent my last coupla
Debian years in Debian's dpkg version of the rpm dependency hell I
endured in my Red Hat 5.2-to-7.3 years. ;o)

> You can always check what is going to be installed/upgraded before
> proceeding.
>
> > Or, if they have no systemd dependencies, can I install the Debian
> > Jessie versions ?
> >

> 95% of the packages in Devuan Jessie are the same as in Debian
> Jessie. So in most cases you will be using packages from Debian
> Jessie, even if you get those throgh an automatic redirect from the
> Devuan repo.
>
> > Worried, on the banks of the Paraguay River
>
> There is no need to be worried. Devuan Jessie is running on thousands
> of servers out there, as is Devuan ASCII doing.

..for _some_ people, this worry is not just about "whether Devuan
Jessie works", this is also about whether they have a job and can
pay for their childrens food and home the next few months.
Which is exactly why they stuck their neck out and recommended
"rock solid" Debian Wheezy _LTS_, years ago when it was rock solid.

..and it's why I voiced my idea of a "Devuan Wheezy LTS 0.x" style fork.
We can expect these people to volonteer work for us like what they
have for debian.org, once they see us as a viable way forward for
themseves, careerwise and financially.

Scenarios always come in sets of three: