:: Re: [DNG] What if...
Author: Antony Stone
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] What if...
On Monday 18 September 2017 at 14:27:04, Arnt Karlsen wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 12:59:20 +0100, KatolaZ wrote in message
> >
> > There is no need to be worried. Devuan Jessie is running on thousands
> > of servers out there, as is Devuan ASCII doing.
>
> ..for _some_ people, this worry is not just about "whether Devuan
> Jessie works", this is also about whether they have a job and can
> pay for their childrens food and home the next few months.
> Which is exactly why they stuck their neck out and recommended
> "rock solid" Debian Wheezy _LTS_, years ago when it was rock solid.
>
> ..and it's why I voiced my idea of a "Devuan Wheezy LTS 0.x" style fork.
> We can expect these people to volonteer work for us like what they
> have for debian.org, once they see us as a viable way forward for
> themseves, careerwise and financially.

We have Devuan Jessie LTS.

There's a perfectly good migration process from Debian Wheezy to Devuan
Jessie.

I don't think there's any point in Devuan attempting to support the outdated
packages in Debian Wheezy when we are already offering an escape route to those
syadmins who've chosen to stick with Wheezy because they don't want systemd.

I'd say there are two categories of people still (deliberately) running
Wheezy:

1. Those who would upgrade to Jessie except for systemd.

2. Those who don't want to upgrade something that's still working.

Devuan Jessie is the solution for group 1, and there is no solution for group
2 because they're happy with what they've already got.

Antony.

--
I wasn't sure about having a beard at first, but then it grew on me.

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.