:: Re: [DNG] What if...
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] What if...
On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 07:46:34AM -0400, Renaud OLGIATI wrote:
> ...I upgrade my Debian Wheezy LTS to Devuan Jessie ?

...you get a Devuan Jessie? :D

> What happens then to those packages I need/use which are not in the Devuan repositories ?

Everything that is is Debian Jessie in in Devuan Jessie. The opposite
is not true, though.

> Will the older versions still run ? Or will the upgrade remove them ?

An "apt-get upgrade" will never remove packages, only replace them
with newer versions.

An "apt-get dist-upgrade" might remove some packages and replace them
with something that does the same job, but is for instance in another
package/comboination of packages.

You can always check what is going to be installed/upgraded before
proceeding.

> Or, if they have no systemd dependencies, can I install the Debian Jessie versions ?

95% of the packages in Devuan Jessie are the same as in Debian
Jessie. So in most cases you will be using packages from Debian
Jessie, even if you get those throgh an automatic redirect from the
Devuan repo.

> Worried, on the banks of the Paraguay River

There is no need to be worried. Devuan Jessie is running on thousands
of servers out there, as is Devuan ASCII doing.

HND

KatolaZ