:: Re: [devuan-dev] Devuan Notes for A…
Author: Douglas Guptill
To: devuan-dev
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Devuan Notes for Aug 16(17) 2017
On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 07:49:18PM +0200, Jaromil wrote:

> I'll be reading other proposals, still personally worried that this
> process is not really helping to leverage new developers participation
> and expertise we need.

That comment triggers me. I am a (retired) programmer/sysadmin. In
those roles I have used Debian since 1998. I have been driven by the
systemd issues to devuan, and I like devuan.

However I have no packaging experience, beyond my recent attempts to
devuan-ize reportbug. Those attempts are currently stuck; I have
managed to build a .deb file for ascii-proposed, but cannot install it
on my system (devuan-jessie) due to dependency issues. So how can I
test it?

I think that the devuan initiators have
* undertaken a massive project, and
* appear to have some very good new ideas

Back to the main issue: new developers. I am keen, have time, have
experience (my first programming job was in 1966; programming and
system administration have been my profession since then).

However I am struggling with trying to understand what is going on in
devuan, and how to contribute.

Best regards to all,
Douglas.
--
Bold character derived from stubborn patience and adversity.
==