:: Re: [DNG] Linus can no longer trust…
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Linus can no longer trust "init"
On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 05:34:29PM -0500, Nate Bargmann wrote:

[cut]

> > So please, let's stop making fouls of ourselves. The problem is not
> > systemd being or not being free software, rather its creators and
> > sponsors being or not being well-intentioned towards the free software
> > community. And this is not a problem of RMS, or Linus, or anybody else
> > in particular, rather a problem of the community *as a whole*.
>
> But the community right now is very fractured, perhaps the most
> fractured since I stepped into this world of Linux and Free Software
> nearly 21 years ago. A divide and conquer strategy has been implemented
> from a direction that took a long time for many of us to recognize and
> accept. Those of us who have now recognized it are seemingly small but
> growing in number. So far the most well known name to post to this list
> is Bruce Perens. I think the community will benefit when others abandon
> neutrality.

Yes, sure, the community will benefit if others abandon
neutrality. But while we wait for the Golem to save the day, we *must*
take action, because the Golem might not come, in the end.

When Devuan was announced, the "experts" said it would have lasted 3
months.

When the Valentine pre-alpha was released, the "experts" told Devuan
would have disappeared in 6 months.

When Jessie Beta was out, the "experts" were sure that Devuan would
collapse within 1 year.

Now Jessie stable is out, and Ascii is in the making. Almost three
years have passed, and we are laying down plans for the next
three/five years. And this is only due to an initially very small
community, with no big names, no big sponsors, and no big money, which
has grown in size, strength, and consciousness.

If Devuan would have waited for the Golem to come and save the day,
then the "experts" would have been proven right two years ago.

As it turned out, DNG *is* the Golem :)

HND

KatolaZ