:: Re: [DNG] I have a question about l…
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] I have a question about libsystemd0 in devuan ascii,
Le 25/06/2017 à 22:02, Rick Moen a écrit :
> As Nelson says, other common options include mdev, smdev, and nldev.
> And there's also eudev, though it seems quixotic to me. Personally, I'm
> lastingly fond of Rob Landley's mdev, as it's_really_ minimal, and
> doesn't succumb to the desire to satisfy every possible feature request
> that I still see in vdev. (Not that I'm in any way less than admiring
> of the project generally. I just don't need all of what it does.)
>
> https://git.busybox.net/busybox/tree/docs/mdev.txt
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev
>
> Quoting the latter:
>
>    Will mdev work on my system?

>    The mdev application is definitely suitable as long as the system does
>    not use a full-fledged desktop environment. Note that a desktop
>    environment is not required to run AbiWord, Firefox, GIMP, Gnumeric,
>    etc. However, KOffice applications like KMail seem to pull in most of
>    KDE as a dependency. In general, when using KDE or GNOME, mdev is not
>    suitable. Also using LVM might be troublesome.

> Seems to hit my use-cases perfectly, as I don't care whether DEs have
> indigestion, or whether the worst DE-related apps (like KMail) do. For
> perspective, you get mdev for free if you have Busybox, so that'll give
> you some idea how small and simple it is.

     mdev is fine for a server. It is lacking a few features w/r udev:

     1) It doesn't build /dev/disk/[by-id | by-label | by-partuuid |
by-path | by-uuid]

         I tried to add this feature by the mean an mdev-called script ~
a year ago in a Busybox OS, and succeeded easily with by-label and
by-uuid. I don't know the usage of the others anyway.

     2) It doesn't come with a library for applications to retrieve
information about the devices. This affects primarily the X11
configuration, which means you will need to provide some Xorg.conf file,
like in the old times. I don't know if its affects also other
subsystems, like audio.

     Didier