:: Re: [DNG] I have a question about l…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] I have a question about libsystemd0 in devuan ascii,
On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 13:02:01 -0700
Rick Moen <rick@???> wrote:

> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev
>
> Quoting the latter:
>
> Will mdev work on my system?
>
> The mdev application is definitely suitable as long as the system
> does not use a full-fledged desktop environment. Note that a desktop
> environment is not required to run AbiWord, Firefox, GIMP, Gnumeric,
> etc. However, KOffice applications like KMail seem to pull in most
> of KDE as a dependency. In general, when using KDE or GNOME, mdev is
> not suitable. Also using LVM might be troublesome.

Wait a minute. This is getting interesting. I seem to hear you saying
that, until Devuan has vdev, I could replace udev with mdev from
busybox, but only if I don't use a "full-fledged desktop environment."

Can I assume for this email thread that a "desktop environment" is a UI
that has a distinct part that serves as a window manager? If so, what
makes a desktop enironment "full-fledged?" Would it be by any chance
that it gets started up by a display manager, instead of by the startx
command?

You're a server guy, whereas I'm a desktop guy who likes to have his
underlying operating system built like a server. Given my situation, it
looks to me like I'd need to just replace udev commands with mdev
commands in a few rc scripts and init scripts. That sound reasonable?

Thanks for letting us know about this.

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2017 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key