:: Re: [DNG] I have a question about l…
Author: karl
To: dng
New-Topics: [DNG] What I meant by "server": was I have a question about libsystemd0 in devuan ascii,
Subject: Re: [DNG] I have a question about libsystemd0 in devuan ascii,
Rick Moen:
> Quoting Steve Litt (slitt@???):

> > You're a server guy, whereas I'm a desktop guy who likes to have his
> > underlying operating system built like a server. Given my situation, it
> > looks to me like I'd need to just replace udev commands with mdev
> > commands in a few rc scripts and init scripts. That sound reasonable?

And, btw, server and client are software concepts that has spilled over
to hw.

> As Mr. Karl Hammar just got through saying (tack så mycket, herr Hammar),

Åhh, det var så lite så!

> it's entirely possible you need nothing beyond an old-fashioned static
> /dev tree, per se (not counting annoying and spurious package
> dependencies that claim software requires udev or libudev even where it
> doesn't really). Except for one majorly annoying thing: Xorg packages
> have lately been compiled to assume udev support, though reportedly this
> too can be worked around by creating the old-school xorg.conf you may
> have forgotten used to be routine:
> https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/274149/setting-up-xorg-input-devices-without-udev

You have to configure mesa to use sysfs instead of udev,
compile xorg-server without udev, and set up your own config file.

> rick@???        about it, but we do know that it ate cats.

I see you have Hugin (thought), but you "forgot" Munin (memory) on your
web site.

Regards,
/Karl Hammar

Aspö Data