:: [DNG] What I meant by "server": was…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] What I meant by "server": was I have a question about libsystemd0 in devuan ascii,
On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 11:40:37 +0200 (CEST)
karl@??? wrote:

> Rick Moen:
> > Quoting Steve Litt (slitt@???):
> > > You're a server guy, whereas I'm a desktop guy who likes to have
> > > his underlying operating system built like a server. Given my
> > > situation, it looks to me like I'd need to just replace udev
> > > commands with mdev commands in a few rc scripts and init scripts.
> > > That sound reasonable?
>
> And, btw, server and client are software concepts that has spilled
> over to hw.

Whoops. I wrongly used the single word "server" when I meant a system
that has several properties:

* Simple
* Minimal features
* Maximal opportunity to build my own features with bash or python
* Minimal dependencies
* Software sections communicate only on need to know basis
* Software sections are encapsulated, other than simple APIs
* No software busses
* Determinate menus
* No transparency, no compositing, no pretty, no cutesy
* To the extent possible, configurable with an editor
* Light CPU and RAM usage: Save those for applications and daemons

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2017 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key