:: Re: [DNG] I have a question about l…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] I have a question about libsystemd0 in devuan ascii,

On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 09:06:53 -0700
Bruce Perens <bruce@???> wrote:

> About the time I started working on Free Software, I also founded
> *No-Code International* with the goal of eliminating Morse Code exams
> as a requirement for the ham radio license, worldwide. This required
> a change in international law, the International Telecommunications
> Treaty of the ITU, a UN organization, and a corresponding change in
> the laws of many nations after that.
>
> The president of TAPR (a digital ham communications organization)
> said in a keynote that we were looking at the end of ham radio within
> 20 years if we could not do something about the declining licensing
> of young people. He said that many of us would preside over the
> demise of ham radio in our lifetimes, and we sure didn't like that. I
> was out to reverse the trend.

Invalid analogy.

Not requiring Morse Code in no way interferes with those who want to
use Morse Code. A better analogy between code and systemd (with or
without Gnome as a gateway drug) would be something like this:

The new "systemd" radio specification eliminates the need for CW (Morse
Code) testing. It also specifies that, instead of turning the
transmitted carrier on and off, CW will now be via audio facilities,
with filters in receivers for specific audio frequencies.

The new specification allows multiseat: A facility by which multiple
transcievers can use the same audio frequency without interference.
Here's how it works:

When a transmitter comes on the air, it contacts a W5dbus repeater with
an on-air notification and a request for either CW or voice. W5dbus
contacts K3systemd, which either honors the request by returning the
audio frequency of the CW or 0 for voice, or returns 99999 indicating a
refusal from which the transmitter can retry.

Once a transmitter is granted access, the k3systemd radio frequency is
returned by a W5dbus repeater, complete with timing info, so all radios
on that radio frequency operate at the exact same frequency (to which
the transmitter adjusts), so there are never beat frequencies. AF
filters filter out various audio frequencies for CW, and if a receiver
is listening to audio, the receiver receives info from K3systemd via
W5dbus telling it which dots and dashes to subtract out.

The new specification requires high gain, sharply directional antennas
rotateable in all directions and pointable to various angles from
horizontal. When two transcievers agree to talk, the secondary
transciever gives up its audio frequency and assumes the primary
transciever frequency, and systemd assigns antenna aims for them. If
either antenna fails to reply a comply, that transciever is
disconnected from the communication, and an error is transmitted back
to that transciever via the journalctl facility at 21,000 Hz audio.

This new system is much easier to troubleshoot than the antique
straight superhet that's been with us since the 1930's. The new system
replaces meters and dummy loads with modules such as journalctl and
systemctl.

For the next version of the systemd radio specification, the systemd
technologists have petitioned all the electric companies to adopt
systemd waveforms and signals in their power lines.

SteveT

Steve Litt
June 2017 featured book: The Key to Everyday Excellence
http://www.troubleshooters.com/key