:: Re: [DNG] I have a question about l…
Author: Alessandro Selli
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] I have a question about libsystemd0 in devuan ascii,
Il 21/06/2017 alle 07:20, KatolaZ ha scritto:
> On Tue, Jun 20, 2017 at 11:12:32PM -0500, Nate Bargmann wrote:
>
> [cut]
>

>> I will reiterate my earlier comment. For those who believe that Devuan
>> is somehow lacking without GNOME et. al., Debian is a short download
>> away. I say that not with malice or condescension, but with sincerity
>> that your experience will be better with Debian as the Debian developers
>> have committed the project to support GNOME in full. Devuan has chosen
>> another path. Please respect that.
>>

> Dear Nate,
>
> I have already said several times that I couldn't care less about
> GNOME or KDE or XFCE 'per se'. However, I believe it is fundamental to
> provide sustainable alternatives (and as many as possible) to the
> "centralisation madness" that has become so popular. That's why,
> ideally, I wouldn't like to leave behind any single piece of software
> that can potentially work without systemd, and that could escape the
> total domination plan that is unfolding in front of our eyes. If we
> keep accepting compromises, and reacting with "well, I don't need
> this, so I don't care", we will be left with basically no toy to play
> with, and in a quite short time.

IMO, Devuan's priority ought to be providing a viable alternative to the
"total domination" madness. This entails refusing to go with those pieces
of software that are designed to enforce that domination and centralization.
Most of the reasons that caused us to forgo systemd apply to Gnome as well.
It would be nice we had the manpower to fork Gnome and maintain a portable
version that could do without systemd, but I think we cannot do that and
keep evolving a whole systemd-free OS at the same time. We have easier and
workable alternatives, let's go with them, let's value them. People who
appreciate a systemd-free OS are likely to appreciate an alternative WM than
Gnome and KDE. We are in no obligation to support everything that could
possibly run in Devuan. Being focused to a precise goal, user freedom and
choice, usually involves a degree of sacrifice. We are not letting users
without a WM, there are many to choose from, we are letting out those that
chose to entangle users inside their walled gardens. Would someone ask why
does not Devuan have $PACKAGE, we will educate the guy with this
explanation: "We favour freedom and choice over features, we prefer
simplicity and ease of porting to the bells and whistles, this is the reason
we left out those packages that made the opposite choices". Then the guy
will make their own choice.