:: Re: [DNG] I have a question about l…
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] I have a question about libsystemd0 in devuan ascii,
On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 14:54:48 +0200, Antony wrote in message
<201706211454.48985.Antony.Stone@???>:

> On Wednesday 21 June 2017 at 14:44:34, KatolaZ wrote:
>
> > Steve Jobs understood that users must be won with eyecandies, and on
> > that side we will never be able to beat Apple. Not because Free
> > Software cannot produce better eyecandies, but because the newly-won
> > users, lured through eyecandies, would flee back to Apple as soon as
> > Apple provides a more appealing set of eyecandies. We should win
> > users on more fundamental aspects, like freedom, but you cannot
> > force anybody to be free against their will. Freedom is a choice,
> > to be made again every single day, and has a cost.
>
> I've been following this discussion thread with interest - I'm
> relatively new on this list, and it's been good to see the debate and
> opinions going back and forth.
>
> A fairly fundamental question strikes me about the entire topic,
> though:
>
> - what is the Devuan project aiming to do, and who for?
>

> I can think of a few potential answers to that myself, from the
> simplistic:
>
> - It's Debian without systemd (as far as that is possible / feasible)
>
> to a more philosophical:
>
> - it's what we wished Debian had been if they hadn't gone down the
> Gnome / systemd route
>
> or maybe just a general:
>
> - it's a Linux distro for people who know that they don't want
> systemd (which, in my opinion, eliminates a very large proportion of
> "average computer users", who have no interest in what systemd is,
> but want something to click on so they can use this "computer" tool)
>
> If Devuan is aiming to be "a better Linux distro than any other", has
> anyone actually defined what "better" means and who it applies to?
>

> I suppose what I'm really getting at is "who are Devuan's intended
> user base (or 'market' if you prefer)?"

..for me, Devuan is a backup plan, I don't trust Ed Snowdon's judgement
on Tor-on-top-of-systemd distros like Tails and Qube-OS, he is after
all still stuck in Moscow, Russia on Putin's mercy.

..and, one of these 2 sides _will_ be proven _wrong_ some time in the
future.

> Thanks,
>

> Antony.

Scenarios always come in sets of three: