:: Re: [DNG] I have a question about l…
Author: Bruce Perens
To: golinux, dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] I have a question about libsystemd0 in devuan ascii,
About the time I started working on Free Software, I also founded *No-Code
International* with the goal of eliminating Morse Code exams as a
requirement for the ham radio license, worldwide. This required a change in
international law, the International Telecommunications Treaty of the ITU,
a UN organization, and a corresponding change in the laws of many nations
after that.

The president of TAPR (a digital ham communications organization) said in a
keynote that we were looking at the end of ham radio within 20 years if we
could not do something about the declining licensing of young people. He
said that many of us would preside over the demise of ham radio in our
lifetimes, and we sure didn't like that. I was out to reverse the trend.

People pleaded with me not to "dumb down" Amateur Radio. At ham radio
gatherings, I got cursed out and yelled at. ARRL dispatched an ex-president
of their organization to IARU (International Amateur Radio Union) meetings
with one mission: preserve the Morse Code requirement.

Our side won. Today there are more hams in the US than ever before in
history, and we are no longer expecting the demise of Ham Radio.

Nobody walks up to me and says that things would have been better had I not
interfered. I do get a lot of handshakes and thank-yous from new hams. My
regional ARRL director asks me to come to the podium to be introduced at
our annual meetings each year. I continue to be invited to keynote ham
conferences.

I do seem to hear a lot of the same sentiment as the pro-code guys in this
discussion. And I know where that goes. We didn't dumb anything down, we
just got people to participate. And everything was better for it.

    Thanks

    Bruce