:: Re: [DNG] Gtk3-theme
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Gtk3-theme
On Thu, 23 Feb 2017 04:14:44 -0800
Rick Moen <rick@???> wrote:

> Quoting Dr. Nikolaus Klepp (dr.klepp@???):
>
> > As david already pointed out, you could use TDE as default.
>
> I appreciated David saying that, and meant to reply that I do
> apologise for forgetting Trinity Desktop Environment (2010 fork of
> KDE 3.5), and, if someone here is a Wikipedian, can help ensure it's
> more seldom forgotten by adding coverage to the Wikipedia page I
> relied on for my roster of DEs.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_X_Window_System_desktop_environments

KDE 3.x was gratuitously entanged junk, based on my use of it just
after the turn of the century. The fact that KDE 4.x is even worse
doesn't lessen this. I suggest we stay away from anything resembling
KDE. And KDE3.x was bloaty, as I remember. When I switched from KDE to
IceWM, it was like somebody added a second processor to my machine.

[snip Moska stuff]

> Personally, I've never seen any value proposition in Desktop
> Environments at all. Picking a WM and then applications on an a la
> carte basis has always met my needs, and I see no benefit in a suite
> of things I want plus things I don't.

If I were a more expressive writer, I would have already written the
preceding paragraph. It tells the absolute truth. I can't begin to
enumerate the hardships caused by "integration."

SteveT

Steve Litt
February 2017 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive